Naming your dog can be both fun and challenging, especially if you want to go with something outside the box. Instead of naming your dog after his color or going with a cliché dog name, take the time to do some brainstorming – you never know what you might come up with! If you’re looking for some interesting ideas for dog names, consider these twelve religious-themed dog names:
- Eli – The Hebrew word for “my God,” Eli would make a great religious-themed name for a male dog. In the Bible, Eli was a judge and priest who served the lord – he was good and true, just like your dog will be to you.
- Delilah – From the story of Samson and Delilah, this is a wonderful name for a female dog. Delilah may have betrayed Samson in the story but your Delilah will be faithful and loyal to you for the entirety of her life.
- Gabriel – Inspired by the archangel himself, Gabriel is a wonderful religious-themed dog name for a male dog. This name invokes an image of power and grace, so it might be good for a larger dog or simply for a dog who has an angelic personality.
- Sarah – A great religious-inspired name for a female dog, the name Sarah has many religious ties. In the Bible, Sarah was the faithful wife of Abraham who followed him wherever he went and served him well.
- Magi – The Magi from the Bible were also known as the three wise men who welcomed the baby Jesus into the world. If you’re looking for a religious-themed dog name for a dog who seems wise beyond his years, Magi is a great name to consider.
- Genesis – The very first book of the Bible, Genesis is a great name for a male or female dog. The book of Genesis tells the story of the world and how it began, so it might be a fun name for a dog if it is the first dog you’ve ever owned.
- Hope – Though not limited to any one religion, Hope is something everyone wants to believe in and it’s a great name for a female dog.
- Angel – Ideal for a female dog but also applicable for sweet male dogs, the name Angel is a great choice for religious-themed dog names. Give this name to a dog who is gentle, kind, and loving.
- Titus – A companion of the apostle Paul in the Bible, Titus was a faithful believer who served with all his heart. If you’re looking for a religious-themed name for a male dog, Titus is a great option.
- Grace – The name Grace isn’t tied to any one religion and it’s a great name for a female dog who loves you with all her heart and who would do anything to see you happy.
When you bring your dog home for the first time, don’t feel like you have to give him a name right away – there is nothing wrong with spending a little time together until you get a feel for his personality. The more time you spend with your dog, the more you will get to know him and that will make it easier to choose the perfect name. If you are considering a religious-themed name for your new dog, think about one of the twelve names listed above!
Photo credit: Fotos593/Shutterstock