If you are having trouble coming up with the perfect name for your dog, why not draw inspiration from some of the largest and most beautiful cities in the world? Below you will find a list of some of the top ten city-inspired dog names that you should consider for your new canine companion.
- Brooklyn – The perfect name for a scrappy dog that just won’t take “No” for an answer, Brooklyn is the most populous of New York City’s five boroughs. Home to more than 2 million residents, Brooklyn is the definition of “big city” even though it only has a land area of 71 square miles!
- Tokyo – Both the capital and the most populous city in Japan, Tokyo is the perfect name for a Japanese dog breed like the Akita, Shiba Inu, or the Japanese Terrier. These dogs have an undeniable air of dignity, much like the Japanese people themselves.
- Cairo – This is the capital and the largest city in Egypt, not to mention the largest metropolitan area in all of the Middle East. Cairo is the perfect name for an ancient dog breed like the Afghan Hound or the Saluki, though any dog would be lucky to carry this beautiful name.
- Paris – Home to the Eiffel Tower and the world’s most visited art museum, the Louvre, Paris is also known as the city of love. Capital and most populous city in France, Paris is the perfect name for a dog with a luxurious coat or for a toy breed that likes to get its way.
- Boston – If your dog is down to earth and more than a little bit stubborn, Boston might just be the perfect name. Boston is the capital and largest city in Massachusetts and it is home to some of the country’s oldest and most famous neighborhoods.
- London – Not only is London one of the world’s leading financial centers but it is also home to some of the world’s biggest fashion, arts, and entertainment locales. London is the capital of England and it is the perfect name for a smaller dog with a big personality.
- Santiago – The capital and largest city in Chile, South America, Santiago would be the perfect name for a Latin American dog breed like the Fila Brasileiro, the Dogo Argentino, or the Brazilian Terrier. The city was named in honor of St. James, the patron saint of Spain.
- Savannah – The oldest city in the state of Georgia, Savannah is the perfect name for a dog who has an old soul but a spunky personality. Savannah is known for its historic architecture and for its unique Southern charm.
- Dallas – Not only is Dallas the ninth largest city in the U.S. but it is also the largest urban center and the fourth most populous metropolitan area in the country. Dallas would be the perfect name for a truly Southern dog breed like the Redbone Coonhound or Plott Hound.
- Vienna – The capital and largest city in Austria, Vienne is home to nearly 2 million people. Not only is this city very large, but it is home to some of the world’s best cultural and architectural wonders.
Whether you are a world traveler or not, you can appreciate the beauty of these top ten city-inspired dog names. If none of the names on this list strike your fancy, think about some of your own favorite cities for a new idea!
Photo credit: Michael Gwyther-Jones/Flickr